Working Title: Professor, SNL/UNM Joint Position in Scalable Computing
Working Location: UNM Main Campus (Albuquerque)
Organization: 650A | FAC | Computer Science
Department: Computer Science
Appointment Type: Faculty - Tenure or Tenure Track
Full Time Equivalency: 0.50
Employee Class: F9 - 9 Month Faculty
The University of New Mexico (UNM), in an effort to collaboratively advance mutual interests in research and development in the areas of science and engineering, invite applications for a joint position with Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) in the area of computer science and engineering or a closely related field.
The successful candidate will concurrently and jointly hold the part-time position of Professor in the Department of Computer Science at UNM and Joint University Faculty Research Scientist at SNL. At UNM, this is a 0.50 FTE position.
The technical emphasis of the research program will be in large-scale scientific computing and data analysis, including research in this area on execution models; programming languages and productivity tools; scalable algorithm design and implementation; operating and runtime system software; high-performance I/O, communication, and storage; data analysis and visualization; and scalable computer hardware architecture.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- To establish and lead an internationally recognized, externally funded research program in the area of computer science and engineering as it applies to large-scale scientific computing and data analysis.
- To initiate and foster research collaborations between UNM faculty and Sandia staff.
- Attract, mentor, direct and help retain highly talented junior faculty, post-docs, and students to UNM.
- Catalyze increased financial support from third party sources
- Work with SNL and UNM researchers to build upon current and develop new, joint, nationally recognized research programs and capabilities and to enhance the ability of both institutions to achieve common research and education missions as separately and jointly assigned by UNM and SNL.
- Forge strategic partnerships between UNM, SNL and other research institutions through joint research, technology co-development, contract research, and technology exchange.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate level courses in STEM disciplines relevant to their expertise and serve the programs supported by their department of tenure and interdisciplinary programs.
PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a closely related field.
At least fifteen years of experience conducting research and development in scalable computing technologies in industry and/or higher education.
At least five years of experience in a leadership position.
National or international reputation in high-performance computing or closely related field.
Demonstrated leadership in creating or directing a successful research center.
A research record of distinction and significant impact. * Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.